The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it ~ Plutarch
University of Toronto, Southern Ontario Centre for Atmospheric Aerosol Research
2014 - 2018
- Planned and coordinated the technical aspects of an air quality mobile sampling campaign across the Greater Toronto Area in the summer, fall and winter (2015/2016).
- Consulted with and answered technical questions from organizations such as Canadian Urban Environmental Health Research Consortium (CANUE), Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) and Public Health Ontario.
- Provided GIS and statistical training and mentorship to graduate students.
- Authored technical reports and manuscripts that detailed methodology, results and recommendations to ECCC.
- Provided GIS-based (satellite, land-use regression model, Global Environmental Multi-scale-Modelling air quality and Chemistry) monthly-average air pollution estimates from 2003 to 2014 for health risk assessment by Ryerson and Queen’s University, and SickKids epidemiological studies.
Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI), Trinidad and Tobago
2008 - 2014
- Led a cross-functional team that developed the technical capability and capacity for external projects such as Technology Incubators. This included streamlining process flows, providing equipment specifications and layouts, and marketing material for transfer of technology to clients.
- Supervised the data collection, interpretation, and documentation of the productivity for pilot-scale projects.
- Provided training and supervision to technicians employed within the pilot-scale production.
- Planned and coordinated technical aspects for production of renewable energies such as biogas, from the treatment of organic effluents.
- Evaluated the technical feasibility and cost-to-benefit ratio associated with innovative products or technologies for the public and private sectors.
- Provided scientific and technical advice for the development of proposals related to air quality and GHG verification.
- Authored proposals and technical reports for Indoor Air Quality clients, that detailed the sampling protocol and results obtained from air quality testing.
Education & Skills
2018, University of Toronto, Canada: Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, specialized in modelling traffic-related air pollution
2013, University of the West Indies, Trinidad: MSc. with distinction in Chemical and Process Engineering, specialization in Management
2008, University of Toronto, Canada: BASc. with honours in Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, specialization in Environment
- Geographic Information Systems: ArcGIS
- Air Dispersion Models: AERMOD
- Programming Languages: R, SQL
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project, Access and Publisher
Training & Professional Affiliations
- Workshop Consultation on the Development of Standardized Energy Audit Protocols (SEAPs) for MSMEs with Caribbean Technological Consultancy Services Network (2012)
- ISO 9001 Quality Management Training from Delphi Consultants (2012)
- Logistics Training Management Certificate from the School of Business and Computer Science (2010)
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Training Certificate from Canadian Standards Association (2009)
- Canadian Urban Environmental Health Research Consortium
- Air & Waste Management Association
- Live Green Toronto Volunteer
Shairsingh, K. K., Jeong, C.-H., Wang, J. M., & Evans, G. (2018). Characterizing the spatial variability of local and background concentration signals for air pollution at the neighbourhood scale. Atmospheric Environment, 183, 57–68.
Shairsingh, K. K., Jeong, C.-H., Wang, J. M., Brook, J. & Evans, G. (2019). Urban land use regression models: can temporal deconvolution of traffic pollution measurements extend the urban LUR to suburban areas? Submitted to Atmospheric Environment, 196(May 2018), 143–15.
Shairsingh, K. K., Jeong, C.-H. & Evans, G. (2019). Transboundary and Traffic Influences on Air Pollution Across Two Caribbean Islands. Science of the Total Environment. 653, 1105–1110
Shairsingh, K. K., Brook, J., Mihele, C. & Evans, G. (under review). Do spatiotemporal and spatial land use models predict the same historical exposure? Submitted to Environmental Science & Technology
© Copyright Kerolyn Shairsingh